The below e-mail and documents were sent to the Delaware State Board of Education prior to their vote to approve or decline the regulatory changes for DPAS-II. This highly controversial regulatory change troubled the vast majority of educators in Delaware. The last document is quite disturbing, as is the e-mail from Chris Ruszkowski to his superiors…
Fri 6/13/2014 12:47 PM
DDOE Deck in support of revisions to Regulations 106A/7A/8A
To Murphy Mark <email@example.com>; O’Mara Lindsay <firstname.lastname@example.org>; McLaughlin Mary Kate <email@example.com>
cc Niebrzydowski Eric <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Young Shana <email@example.com>; Alleyne Atnre <firstname.lastname@example.org>; Haberstroh Susan Keene <email@example.com>
Attached is a deck that we’ve put together for Donna’s internal use as she preps SBOE members for next week’s vote. Shana did much of the heavy lift here, working with Michelle & Atnre as well to recap the year that was.
Since the deck is meant for internal usage, it’s not polished in terms of messaging. But what it does include is:
1) The twenty changes we’ve made to C-V based upon educator feedback
2) The numerous educator engagement meetings we’ve held this year
3) The rating patterns that lead to an overall rating of “Needs Improvement”, as proposed)
4) An awesome slide w/ data on the difference (for students) between being rated NI & HE
5) On overview of the high-level regulatory revisions in all three regs…including how we’re raising the bar for administrators
6) Within the second attachment, all of the revisions to teacher evaluation that got left on the cutting room floor as a result of educator feedback.
Working to get over the finish line next week, and to have us 100% ready to deliver training in July. Susan has been instrumental in helping us coordinate on the regulatory work.
I’m thinking some version of this could be helpful in other avenues as well–just let us know. Please don’t use it without giving us another shot at a second coat of paint.
And let us know if you have questions–
From: Young Shana Sent: Thursday, June 12, 2014 10:42 AM To: Johnson Donna R Cc: Ruszkowski Christopher Subject: Deck in support of 106/7/8
Attached is a background deck in support of the proposed revisions for 106A, 107A, and 108A. This document is intended for your internal use not for distribution so please let us know if you want a public version. We included and overview of the Department’s track record of engagement, stakeholder outreach, an overview of the proposed revisions, and some analyses of their impact. I hope this is helpful—please let me know if you’d like any other information.
Chief of Staff
Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Unit
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street, Suite #2
Dover, DE 19901-3639
302.735.4131 (T) 302.739.5894 (F)