The following came from the amazing but tough Delaware PTA Vice-President For Advocacy, the one and only Yvonne Johnson. I will say no more, because Yvonne says it best:
Some key points our legislators need to hear regarding HB#50
The following key points on HB 50 has been sent to every legislator in the state. If you haven’t already done so, please reach out to them and urge them to override Governor Markell’s veto of HB 50.
- As a reminder the votes on HB# 50 in both the house and the senate were overwhelmingly in favor of the parent opt out bill; House 33 to 3, Senate 15 to 6.
- HB#50 was intended for the SBAC assessment. The bill is not about other assessments. Clearly parents want a choice without the fear of retribution to opt their student out of the SBAC.
- DDOE promised to have results to parents in early August, which in and of itself is ludicrous, it is now expected to be in parents hands in late fall.
- This bill was driven from parents and educators recognizing that the SBAC assessment does not offer the data that is valuable.
- Parents want assessments that give nationally normed references, give immediate results, and measure their child’s growth within the current school year in which the test is administered; SBAC does not do any of above.
- Educators want assessments that inform instruction within the current academic year; SBAC does not do this.
- The people have spoken! The results of the vote on this bill in The General Assembly, are a direct result of constituent concerns regarding SBAC.
It is time for action from our elected officials. Unfortunately Governor Markell has ignored the wishes of YOUR constituents. There is no other resolution to this but to override his veto.
This is the only and the right thing to do for the hundreds of parents and teachers that you all have heard from.
Representing over 7000 members, Delaware PTA asks you to take action today and override the veto!
VP of Advocacy,
You don’t disregard Yvonne Johnson if you want to make it out of Delaware with all your teeth! But seriously, if you agree with Yvonne, and I KNOW most of you do, please email our legislators. If you are having any problems finding your legislator, don’t despair. Email ALL of them! Just copy and paste:
Harris.McDowell@state.de.us MargaretRose.Henry@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org Ernesto.Lopez@state.de.us Patricia.Blevins@state.de.us David.Sokola@state.de.us Karen.Peterson@state.de.us Bethany.Hallemail@example.com Bryan.Townsend@state.de.us Nicole.Poore@state.de.us David.McBride@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org Dave.Lawson@state.de.us email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Brian.Pettyjohn@state.de.us Gerald.Hocker@state.de.us Bryant.Richardson@state.de.us Charles.Potter@state.de.us StephanieT.Bolden@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Bryon.Short@state.de.us Quinton.Johnson@state.de.us Kevin.Hensley@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Deborah.Hudson@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org Peter.Schwartzkopf@state.de.us Valerie.Longhurst@state.de.us email@example.com Michael.Mulrooney@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Steve.Smyk@state.de.us Michael.Ramone@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Edward.Osienski@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org John.Viola@state.de.us Earl.Jaques@state.de.us email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Sean.Lynn@state.de.us firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com Lyndon.Yearick@state.de.us David.L.Wilson@state.de.us Harvey.Kenton@state.de.us Ruth.BriggsKing@state.de.us Ronald.Gray@state.de.us Daniel.Short@state.de.us Timothy.Dukes@state.de.us Richard.G.Collins@state.de.us