Parent Opt Out Legislation. A House Bill. Currently in circulation amongst members of the Delaware General Assembly. This is it Delaware. It is time to contact your state representatives and senators and give your support to this bill. I will be posting an article soon with district maps for the House and Senate as well as each and every State Representative and Senators email address. Contact them by next Wednesday, February 11th with your support for this potential game-changing legislation.
Sponsor: Rep. Kowalko & Senator Lawson
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES 148th GENERAL ASSEMBLY
HOUSE BILL NO.
AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 14 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO EDUCATION ASSESSMENT.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend § 151(k), Title 14 of the Delaware Code by making deletions as shown by strike through and insertions shown by underline as follows and redesignating accordingly:
(k)(1) Notwithstanding any other provision in this section to the contrary, any parent or guardian of a student in any public school or charter school shall have the right to opt out of the statewide assessment.
(2) The parent or guardian must notify the student’s school in writing at least 2 school days prior to the scheduled exam. Schools shall honor any timely request and provide alternative educational activities during testing times.
(3) There shall be no academic or disciplinary repercussions on the student’s record for opting out of participating in the statewide assessment.
(4) The Department shall maintain a data system to track the student’s opt-out decisions.
(5) The Department shall report opt-out numbers in accountability ratings to provide context and impact on school and district ratings.
(6) Schools shall notify all parents or guardians of this right no later than 15 days after the start of the school year via school website and telephonic communication.
(7) A student having reached the age of majority shall solely possess the opt-out rights under this subsection. (l) Rules and regulations pursuant to this subchapter shall be proposed by the Secretary subject to approval by the State Board of Education.
This bill creates the right for the parent or guardian of a child to opt out of the annual assessment, currently the Smarter Balanced Assessment System.
6 thoughts on “Delaware State Rep. Kowalko and Senator Lawson Sponsor Parent Opt Out Legislation To General Assembly”
YES!! Long overdue! Good for you, John!
Thanks for posting, Kevin
If you care about education, opt out of Common Core now!
Education assessments as they stand are ruining education. They are mean and meaningless. A simple, easy pass/fail test to ensure that the national curriculum is being taught is all that is needed in this country. Do most fourth grade students know basic division? Can they comprehend a grade level text? Can they independently write three paragraphs of clear, concise, and grammatically correct with 80 percent accuracy. Good. Done. Move on. Or fix it. This country doesn’t need a world full of geniuses, just a few. But we do need kids who can read, write, and do basic math on a daily basis. KISS. Keep it Solid and Simple. Done.
Can they independently write a three sentence paragraph that is clear, concise, and grammatically correct with 80% accuracy?
This bill should be amended to make students opt IN NOT out!
At least delete section 4.