Delaware Senator Bryan Townsend and State Representative Kim Williams have submitted Senate Bill #10 which would amend the Delaware Performance Appraisal System II Advisory Committee. It is currently in the hands of the Senate Education Committee. Here is the text of the bill so far:
|SPONSOR:||Sen. Townsend & Rep. K. Williams|
|Sens. Blevins, Poore, Sokola; Reps. Barbieri, Bolden, Heffernan, Jaques, Kowalko, Lynn, Matthews, Osienski, B. Short|
|DELAWARE STATE SENATE148th GENERAL ASSEMBLY|
|SENATE BILL NO. 10|
|AN ACT TO AMEND TITLE 14 OF THE DELAWARE CODE RELATING TO THE DELAWARE PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL SYSTEM II ADVISORY COMMITTEE.|
BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF DELAWARE:
Section 1. Amend § 1275, Title 14 of the Delaware Code by making deletions as shown by strike through and insertions as shown by underline as follows:
- 1275. DPAS II Advisory Committee.
(a) The Secretary shall convene and provide administrative staff to the Delaware Performance Appraisal System II Advisory Committee. The Committee shall consist of the following members:
(1) Three public school teachers appointed by the Delaware State Education Association; Association.
(2) Three public school administrators appointed by the Delaware Association for School Administrators; Administrators.
(3) One public school superintendent or his or her designee, appointed by the School Chiefs’ Association; Association.
(4) A member of a local school board appointed by the Delaware State School Board Association; Association.
(5) A parent with a child or children in public school selected by the Delaware Parent-Teacher Association; Association.
(6) A representative of higher education appointed by the Governor from an institution that offers a teacher preparation program authorized by the Department of Education; Department.
(7) A representative from the Office of the Governor; Governor.
(8) The Chair of the Education Committee of the Delaware House of Representatives, or the Chair’s designee; and designee.
(9) The Chair of the Education Committee of the Delaware Senate, or the Chair’s designee.
(10) One ex-officio representative from the Department, appointed by the Secretary.
(11) One ex-officio representative from the State Board of Education, appointed by the President of the State Board of Education.
(b) The Committee shall meet at least once a quarter each year.
(c) Annually the Committee shall designate a Chairperson and a Vice Chairperson from amongst its membership.
(d) The Committee shall review data produced by the Delaware Performance Appraisal System II, specifically whether the Department of Education is addressing the fidelity of system implementation statewide, that the data being collected is accurate and reliable, and that it is being used fairly for improving educator quality and professional development opportunities to determine specifically the State’s efforts to ensure fidelity of system implementation statewide, the accuracy and reliability of the data collected by the Department, and the State’s use of the data to improve educator quality and provide meaningful and professional development opportunities.
(e) The Committee shall review proposed new amendments concerning educator evaluation to the State’s Elementary and Secondary Education Act Flexibility Waiver prior to submission to United States Department of Education. The Committee shall review any aspects of the State’s ESEA Flexibility Application which involve the educator evaluation system and any renewal, extensions, or amendments to the Application that deal with educator evaluation prior to submission to the US DOE.
(f) The Department shall provide the Committee with the data produced by the Delaware Performance Appraisal System II, as necessary for the Committee and information necessary for the Committee to fulfill its responsibilities pursuant to the above subsection (d) of this section and to make recommendations regarding educator quality, professional development, and organizational improvement and system design and implementation.
(g) The Committee may provide comments in writing to the Governor, Secretary of the State Board of Education, and the General Assembly on subsections (d), (e) and (f) of this section subsections (d), (e), and (f) of this section.
(h) The Delaware Performance Appraisal System II Advisory Committee shall review any proposed regulations to be promulgated pursuant to this subchapter and shall submit written comments concerning the same to the Secretary and to the State Board prior to the State Board’s consideration of any proposed regulations.
|This Act makes technical changes to the Delaware Performance Appraisal System (DPAS) II Advisory Committee membership and meeting dates. Additionally, this Act clarifies language regarding the Committee’s duties in order to better provide advice to the Secretary of the Department of Education and the State Board of Education in the promulgation of regulations relating to DPAS II.|
Author: Senator Bryan Townsend