Every once in a while, someone pops up on the blogosphere and makes a deep impression with people. For the New Jersey blogs, that person is Melissa Katz. I wrote about Melissa last month when I saw one of her articles re-tweeted all over the place. I read it and I was amazed! For someone so young to have so much insight into the reality of education today is something special. I had the opportunity to interview Melissa recently, and I welcome you to get to know an amazing young woman who has impressed not only many of her fellow citizens in New Jersey, but also America. Melissa is the voice of the future, in my opinion, for what education should be. In between her studies, activism and friends, Melissa also writes a blog called The Educational Activist: From Student To Teacher.
Exceptional Delaware: What made you decide to become a teacher?
Melissa: I always loved school. But more than that, I always loved learning, which in many cases is lost in school due to the current test-and-punish tactics. I would spend my free time playing teacher and Continue reading An Interview With The Magnificent Melissa Katz! “The Start Of An Educational Revolution”
Happy Thanksgiving to all my awesome readers. I wanted to thank you for making this blog happen! I appreciate all the comments, whether on here or through Facebook, Twitter, and email. It has been my pleasure to inform citizens of Delaware and help out where I am able to. I’ve learned a lot these past 5 1/2 months, more than I ever bargained for.
I wrote an article a few days ago on Arne Duncan’s new regulations regarding special education. This has become my most-read article to date. I never thought anything would topple my son’s common core homework back in September, but when you tick off special needs parents, expect a backlash Mr. Arne Duncan!
Top Ten Most Viewed Articles:
1) US DOE & Arne Duncan Drop The Mother Of All Bombs On States Special Education Rights
2) My Special Needs Son’s First Day Of Common Core Division & This Is His Homework
3) Delaware Race To The Top, Hedge Funds, & Millions Wasted: The Story of Rodel, Markell, Charters & The Vision Network
4) DOE & Arne Duncan Accused Of Breaking The Law With IDEA & Special Education by GOP Senate
5) DOOM Comes To Schools In Delaware! Parents, Go To School Board Meetings & Do This…
6) Now Providence Creek (Charter School) Is In Hot Water With Parents! No Love From The DE Charter School Network For Kent County Charters?
7) Special Education In America: Where Is It Going? Spread This Link All Over! Reblog!
8) Rodel’s CEO Dr. Herdman Sent An Email Re: Rodel Article, My Response & Challenge
9) Providence Creek Academy’s Hot Mess! This Is Why Transparency Is Needed From DE Charters!
10) “Our Children Are More Than Test Scores”, My Letter To The Editor In Delaware State News Today
Top Ten Countries Reading:
3) United Kingdom
10) South Africa
Top Ten Referrers to Exceptional Delaware:
3) Kilroy’s Delaware
5) Children & Educators First
7) WordPress Reader
8) Delaware Way
9) Parents Of Christina
Top Ten Individuals Who Wish I Never Started This Blog
1) Dr. Paul Herdman
2) Governor Markell
3) DE Secretary Of Education Mark Murphy
4) US Secretary Of Education Arne Duncan
5) Chuck Taylor
6) Mary Ann Mieczkowski
7) Alison May
8) Brian Touchette
9) Penny Schwinn
10) Kendall Massett
Top Ten Concerns Going Into 2015
1) Special Education in Delaware
2) Smarter Balanced Assessment & Parent Opt Out
3) Priority Schools
4) Gateway Lab School
5) Relay Graduate School Invasion
6) Teacher’s Compensation
7) Disability Bullying
8) DOE Manipulation of Data
9) Rodel’s Influence on DOE
10) Common Core Standards